Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sanook


It is true – I have always been funny, but never this funny.  They say laughter can cure anything, which would make my host family so healthy they will never have to see a doctor again.  The health of this family is so resilient that their children’s children will never have to see a doctor.  What could be so insanely funny to make these people burst into belly-holding laughter morning, noon, and night?  Me speaking Thai.  I’m that good.

The communication is hazy, but I know enough to tell them what I ate for every meal of the day, which is pretty much the most important topic of discussion for Thai people.  My basic human habits and needs are monitored very closely in this household.  Where did you study today?  What did you learn? Did you shower today?  What did you eat?  Coconut?  That’s why you’re fat.  And of course, there is always the useful advice, such as when you golf you should wear sun lotion.  If you are sweaty you should take a shower.  Don’t eat too much, it will make you fatter. The bucket of water next to the toilet is not a decorative pond, it is your toilet paper. 

Joining the Peace Corps is like reliving childhood.  I am learning how to speak, poop, clean myself.  I have to call my ‘Ma’ for permission to play at my friend’s house.  Sound weird?  It is.  But it is also completely wonderful in every color of the word. Because despite all the awkward moments and exhaustion, there is that moment every morning when I ride my bike across the canal, gazing upon the wooden houses raised above the water. I can hear the monks chanting at the temple behind me and see the children waving from the school in front of me. The birds streak across the sky, diving into the rice paddies that are so vibrantly green I swear I can feel my blood buzzing just to be near them.  There are the evenings of sincere laughter as my family and I attempt to navigate a path between our two languages.  The food is something amazing, the children are ever-smiling, and I am constantly finding personal heroes in all my fellow volunteers.

I know Jon Stewart has already given you your Zen of the day, but here is mine:

Four days a week I study with a small group and language teacher at What Kun Tip primary school.  Before jumping into our lessons, the four of us join the students on the lawn in front of the school.  First we hang the flag, then we say our prayers to Buddha, then we DANCE!  They blast music while three girls lead the school in what could be interpreted as the Thai electric slide.  It is no wonder that one of the most important words in the Thai language is sanook – it means to have fun.  And do they ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment